The Charter of Minimum Demands of the Independent Trade Unions and Civil Organizations of Iran
Translated by Zhaleh Sahand
Woman, life, freedom
The noble and free people of Iran!
On the 44th anniversary of the 1979 revolution, the country's economic, political, and social foundation has so much been plunged into such a vortex of crisis and disintegration that no clear and attainable vision can be imagined to end it within the framework of the existing political superstructure. It is also why the oppressed people of Iran- the freedom loving and egalitarian women and young with unparalleled self-sacrifices, have turned the streets of cities across the country into the center of a historic and decisive confrontation to end the existing inhumane conditions, and in the past five months despite the bloody suppression of the government, they have not rested for a moment.
The flag of the fundamental defiance that has been raised by the women, students, teachers, workers, petitioners, artists, queers, writers, and the oppressed general public of Iran all over the country from Kurdistan to Sistan and Baluchistan today, attracting a rare and less experienced international support, is a protest against misogyny and gender discrimination, endless economic insecurity, labor slavery, poverty, misery, class oppression, national and religious oppression, and it is a revolution against every form of religious and non-religious tyranny in which has been imposed on us - the general people of Iran - for more than a century.
These subversive protests have emerged from the context of large and modern social movements and the rise of an invincible generation that are determined to put an end to the history of a hundred years of backwardness and marginalization of the ideal of a modern, prosperous, and free society.
After the two great revolutions in Iran's contemporary history, now the great progressive social movements; the labor movement, the teachers' and retirees' movement, the women's, students' and youth's equality movement, and the movement against the death penalty, etc. - in mass dimensions and from below, they have been placed in a position of historical and decisive influence in shaping the political, economic, and social structure of the country.
Therefore, this movement aims to forever end the formation of any power from above and become the pioneer of a social, modern, and human revolution to free people from all forms of oppression, discrimination, exploitation, tyranny, and dictatorship.
We, the signatories of this charter; the unions, civic organizations, and institutions, with focus on the unity and interconnection of social movements and demands, and concentrating on the struggle to end the existing inhumane and destructive situation, are considering the fulfillment of the following minimum demands as the first commandments and the result of the fundamental protests of the Iranian people, to be the only way to build a new, modern and humane society in the country, and we ask all noble people who have the thoughts of freedom, equality, and liberation in their hearts, from the factory to the university, schools and neighborhoods, up to the world stage, raise the flag of these minimum demands on the lofty peak of freedom.
1. The immediate and unconditional release of all political prisoners, the prohibition of criminalization of political, union and civil activities, and the public trial of those responsible for suppressing popular protests.
2. Unconditional freedom of opinion, expression and thought, press, party, local and national union and popular organizations, gatherings, strikes, marches, audio and video-based social media and networking.
3. Immediate cancellation of the issuance and execution of any type of death penalty, execution, retribution and prohibition of any type of mental and physical torture.
4. Immediate declaration of full equality of women's rights with men in all political, economic, social, cultural, and family grounds, unconditional abolition and annihilation of discriminatory laws and aspects against sexual and gender relations and tendencies, recognition of the "LGBTQIA Plus" rainbow community, decriminalization of all gender affiliations and tendencies and unconditional adherence to all women's rights over their bodies and destiny and preventing patriarchal control.
5. Religion is a private matter of individuals and should not be involved in the country's political, economic, social, and cultural destinies and laws.
6. Ensuring work safety, job security and immediate increase in the salaries of workers, teachers, employees, all working and retired workers with the presence, involvement, and agreement of the elected representatives of their independent and national organizations.
7. Abolishment of laws and any outlook based on national and religious discrimination and oppression, creation of appropriate support infrastructure, fair, and equal distribution of government facilities for the growth of culture and art in all regions of the country, and providing the necessary and equal facilities for learning and teaching all common languages in society.
8. Abolishment of the establishment of repressive organs, limiting the powers of the government and the establishment of the direct and permanent involvement of the people in the administration of the country's affairs through local and national councils. The dismissal of any governmental and non-governmental official by the voters at any time should be among the fundamental rights of the voters.
9. Confiscation of the property of all natural and legal persons, governmental, semi-governmental, and private institutions that have taken the property and social wealth of the Iranian people by direct looting or governmental interests and surplus. The wealth obtained from these confiscations should be urgently spent on the modernization and reconstruction of education, pension funds, environment, and the needs of the regions and sections of the Iranian people who were deprived and had less facilities during the two regimes of the Islamic Republic and the royal regime.
10. Ending environmental destructions, implementing fundamental policies to restore the environmental infrastructure that has been destroyed over the past hundred years, and collectivization and publicization of those parts of nature (such as pastures, beaches, forests, and foothills) that in the form of privatization, the national rights of the people have been taken away from them.
11. Prohibition of child labour and provision of their life and education apart from the economic and social status of their families. Creating public welfare through unemployment insurance and strong social security for all people of legal age ready to work or unable to work. Free education and healthcare for all people.
12. Normalization of foreign relations at the highest levels with all countries of the world on the basis of fair relations and mutual respect, banning the acquisition of nuclear weapons and striving for world peace.
From our point of view, the above minimum demands can be achieved and implemented immediately considering the existence of potential and actual underground wealth in the country, and the existence of an informed and capable people and a generation of young people who have a lot of motivation to enjoy a happy, free, and prosperous life.
The demands raised in this manifesto, are the general axes of the demands of our signatories that will be taken into account and we inevitably will deal with them in a more detailed and fine manner in the continuation of our struggle and solidarity.
Coordinating Council of Iranian Teacher Trade Associations
Free Union of Iranian Workers
Union of Student Organizations of United Students
Center for Human Rights Defenders
Haft Tappeh Sugar Cane Mill Labor Syndicate
Council for Organizing Oil Contract-Workers
Iran Cultural House (Khafa)
Bidarzani- Women Awakening
The Call of the Iranian Women
The Independent Voice of Ahvaz National Steel Group Workers
The Labor Rights Defenders Center
Kermanshah Electrical and Metal Workers Union
The Coordinating Committee to Help Build Labor Unions
Union of Retirees
Council of Retirees of Iran
Organization of Leading Students
Council of Free-thinking Students of Iran
Painters Syndicate of Alborz Province
Committee to Follow up the Establishment of Labor Organizations in Iran
Council of Retirees of Social Security Organization (BASTA)